Help! How do I have surgery and stay CODE RED?
We know this can be a stressful time for you! Here are some hints and tips for you.
1. Get prepared for your surgery. Talk to your dr about medications pre and post surgery. Talk about recovery time. Information is power!
2. Eating CODE RED sets you up to do better/feel better/recover better. So this is good news!
3. Get help for the post-operative period if needed. Friend/family etc..
4. SHOP and plan your food for when you return home.
5. Keep up on your water if possible.
6. Stay away from the carb heavy/sugar snacks after your surgery.
7. Ideas to eat in the immediate post op: Sugar free jello or broth
8. If you are staying in the hospital, you can request a low sugar or low carbohydrate diet. You are allowed to ask for what you want.
9. Stay on track with your eating. It is hard, but it will be worth it.
10. Your weight will go up with surgery. Depending on your procedure, it can go WAY up. This is due to fluids, stress of surgery, medications etc. Don’t lets this worry you. It will take some time for this fluid to come off. Be patient with yourself.
11. If you are able (depending on your surgery) WALK as soon as you are able. This will decrease your recovery time and your risk of a post-operative clot.
12. Try to incorporate detoxifying foods into your eating: chia seeds, broccoli, kale, cauliflower, green tea etc…
13. BE KIND to yourself and your body. You need time to recover!